- Go to Tools > Report Writer.
- In the Connection field, click on the dropdown box and select <Setup Connections>.
- Then select New Item.
- Enter the new Connection Name – this can be anything meaningful, not necessarily the database name.
- Enter details for all the fields here.
Hint: you can copy and paste the server name and database name to make sure that you enter the correct details. The database & server names must be precise (i.e. if the server has an instance, make sure you enter the name followed by the instance).
- Select Save.
- Click on the Connection on the left to bring up the details that you have just entered and select Test Connection. The message should say Connection Succeeded.