Note: Importing historical Job line data into Eralis Job is not recommended due to the amount of reconciliation work with the GL that is required.
General Ledger entries are created. This is used for importing opening Job balances or open data from the existing system. The SAP SDK will be used to transfer inventory and insert expense values into Eralis Job.
Opening balances imported to Eralis Job should also create an opening work-in-progress balance that is reconcilable by Job. Eralis Job has a series of copy and paste templates and screens that can be used to quickly import opening balances for the following:
- Timesheets already entered by staff
- Resources already used on Jobs
- Expenses incurred on Jobs
- Materials already allocated to Jobs
Copy and Paste Templates
The included templates have sample data completed for one Job as a guide. The template instructions outline which of the fields are mandatory and the type of data required for each field.
Preparing for the Copy and Paste
Copying and pasting non-inventory items into Eralis Job will create a journal entry in SAP Business One that increases the work-in-progress (WIP) balance sheet account and reduces an offset account. When importing opening GL balances using DTW you should already have imported a WIP balance from the incumbent system. This existing WIP account that has been imported is the offset account and a new, clean WIP account should be created.
It is recommended that a non-inventory Item Code called OpenBal or similar is created to use for all opening balance imports. A User Defined Field (UDF) called Job Costing Clearing Acct is present on each non-inventory item in SAP Business One. This UDF holds the offset account for the journal created and should be set to the existing WIP account that holds the imported opening balance.
Copying and pasting inventory items into Eralis Job will create a stock transfer from a source warehouse to the WIP warehouse at the current cost of the inventory, according to SAP Business One. When importing opening stock balances via DTW, all stock currently in WIP should be imported to a temporary warehouse. When importing opening balances for Eralis Job, the stock will then be transferred to WIP and the cost of transfer accounted for correctly in the GL.
Copy and Paste Process
The copy and paste process is completed using spreadsheets and the Eralis Job user interface.
- Open the direct entry screen you are importing data to from the main menu in Eralis Job.
Note: Direct material entry is used to import both inventory and incurred expenses.
- Open the spreadsheet with the copy and paste details.
- Ensure the column headings of the spreadsheet match the column headings of the direct entry screens.
- Select the data for pasting in Microsoft Excel including the column headings and copy to clipboard (CTRL+C).
- In the direct entry screen, specify the Posting Date for the data in the header and any other relevant defaults.
- Press the Excel Clipboard button to copy the contents of the clipboard to the screen. Any errors in the data will be picked up during this process.
- Check the data for accuracy and post using the Add button.
- On Add the following will occur:
- Eralis Job will be updated with the Job lines as unprocessed work.
- A journal or stock transfer will be created that debits work-in-progress for that project and credits the source warehouse or item clearing account.